Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fashioning My Cyber Microcosm: Waxing Nostalgic-- Good People and Good Ideas

As we move forward into the new year, many of us have written our hopes and dreams in the way of resolutions; dreaming that this new year will bring us the due diligence that we all aspire to accomplish.

While the list of aspirations grow and grow all around me, one author stood out with something so simple yet so profound that many of us forget to do in the excitement of starting anew again.

Salieria, author of the blog Dreams of an Escapist, reminisces about the past year; things she still ponders over; things that went well for her, and most importantly, things she was most proud that she has done.
To learn from our past is something we must all pause to do, so that we can transcend mistakes or regrets, and build upon our achievements so that we may grow.

Very recently, The Professor  linked another blog which features an idea taken from Pinterest: a "Memory Keeper" Jar.

Source: Scathingly Brilliant blog

The author of Scathingly Brilliant states:  
"write down good things that happen throughout the year and keep them in a jar. On New Years Eve, open the jar and read all of the lovely things that happened to you during the year."

This is such a grand idea, and it couldn't come at a more perfect time when I was thinking about the idea Salieria had planted in my head. The only thing I would add to such a novel idea is to create 'special notes'; notes written on colored paper to signify a larger triumph or an extra special event.

I was thinking about using a halloween bucket my neighbor gave me... and as you can see, Poe is already breaking it in.


Because last year has passed without said jar, I will simply write here and share with you all, in no particular order, my proud moments of 2012:

  • I didn't craft as much as I have in the past, but what I have created I am far more proud of than I am with my older work-- years of practice is paying off big time!
  • I learned to knit, all by myself! (a lot of thanks goes to youtube and some books, however)
  • I started my fashion/craft blog
  • I got married and moved out-- to another country no less!
  • I adopted Poe
  • I am so proud of my individual style sense
  • I learned to say 'enough' and stopped excessively apologizing; especially when it came to my short comings
  • Sing and dance out loud without feeling embarrassed about how silly it might be
  • I made a transition into bloomers and pants; seems small, but I have worn skirts for so long I hardly remembered what it was like to wear something other than one!
Well my new years eve went so well. I solved the greatest mystery to plague my own 2012, and that felt great to do! Other than that, I spent the night finishing up my Netflix playlist with my wonderful husband and kitty.


Hope your new years week is most auspicious!


This post is in part written for:



9 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea! A happy jar :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww cute kitty! It seems like you had a great year :) I wish you an even better 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUZZAH for a great year! Good for you! What do you mean you moved to a new country? Where are you originally from?

    Aw man, you gave a little preview of tomorrow's Bat Fit challenge! :P Oh heck, I gave away a little preview of tomorrow's Bat Fit challenge on the Bat Fit FB group a few days ago. HA! Isn't it just the best idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am originally from Canada-- it was a huge step for me, and though I miss my mother very dearly, and hate that I am so far away, I am so glad I did it.

      Delete
  4. PS: thanks for the shout out, darling! :) You are just too sweet and Poe is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great year! Your cat is too cute :) I'm a Canadian girl also, where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you started the year off by focusing on the positive. Sounds like you really had a wonderful 2012! May '13 be even better for you!

    (Sorry for my belated comments - holidays followed by illness followed by house guests really wiped me out for a while! I do appreciate your post for the NYE theme!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...