Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fashioning My Cyber Microcosm: For The Love Of...


I really wanted to participate in both the Professor's (date night) and Trystan's (love of what you do) monthly themes, because they're topics I really wanted to discuss as Valentines draws closer. However, I thought that since I also wanted to make a personal piece aside (what I think about Valentines), I figured why not combine them all into one since this will likely be the only time I will talk about it on my blog... well, aside from outfit posts regarding future Valentines.

If you were to dissect me and my love of things and people, you'll find that my heart looks something like this:

And it's probably because I eat too many skittles...

Gaming, movies and art also fits in there... but it seemed too redundant to squish that in with crafting and books. It gets the point across.

I'm fairly certain that if I was told I could not live without any of these, I would perish slowly in a blur of lamentable anguish. I love everything I bring into my life; I cherish it deeply like it's literally a part of me. And further yet, I'm very sentimental about those that I invited into my life but for some reason or another failed to make it in-- it doesn't come easy, because I have this fierce propensity to distance myself personally from new situations.

Despite being a block of ice in the past, I somehow managed to marry the only man I've ever met who saw my oddities as lovable assets, and after roughly 8 years together (including a "gap"), we still have as much fun as the day we met; which by the way, was on the mmorpg World of Warcraft. And so, what better way for two weirdos to marry than with Elvis and in Vegas? 

Yup...
We married in June, and my only regret is that neither of our family came; just his best friend. My family was hindered by financial restrictions, so it was very difficult for them to attend-- and let's face it, we weren't any better off... so who was I to judge? We couldn't even afford card invitations; I thrifted and altered my dress, and made my own jewelry from what I already had in my supply ($15 for the dress-- a little steep for a dress at the thrift store but I loved it so much!). This was the minimum we wanted to do, if only to make it a fond memory. Just signing papers at city hall seemed dull and somewhat depressing to me.

Completely unflattering, but totally accurate
This valentines we won't be doing anything "special", we decided to hit our debt hard; staying at home and spend as little as possible. So my date night outfit? Comfy clothes, of course! We plan on the usual: gaming together, then perhaps watch something (while I work on a project).

Which brings me to another part of me I hold dearly;
Crafting. There are very little words in the English language that would convey the sheer joy that it brings me on a daily basis. For as long as I can remember, I have been doing something with my hands and exercising my creativity. In my small and young life, I have endeavored into many hobbies; learning at the very least the rudimentary skills of photography, cooking, gardening, painting, drawing, ceramics, sewing, knitting, embroidery, tatting, perfume making, wood working, millinery, music composing... and much more. I catch things very easily, and thanks to that, I have this insatiable hunger for more knowledge. Up to this point, I've considered myself a jack-of-all-trades... unfortunately, I also fit the latter part of that idiom; master of none. So for all my knowledge, I can really only apply myself to each at a basic to intermediate level, go figure.
A sample of what else goes on in the creative laboratory: some of my wood work
Once upon a time, I had opened up a shop... but because of my savage lack of business knowledge, coupled with the ferocious propensity to wall up, it met very little success to the point where I just closed it down; this was a couple years ago now. I feel that I have matured in my knowledge, and gain a bit of what I never had in the past: confidence! And yet, I still harbor some trepidation... attempting to retake those steps is quite momentous, at least for my new found confidence-- I don't know that I am completely ready, yet every cell in me jitters with anticipation.
And a sample of my pyrography...
Thanks to my family and close friends, the encouragement they offer keeps me uplifted, even when there are plenty more out there who would rather encourage my failure. I would offer them nothing less than the largest part of my heart and gratitude; those that have stuck by me know exactly how grateful I sincerely am. I regret that I don't have photos of them with me-- I only have one of my mother and myself, and she has it. I am not sure why I have so little; perhaps it's time I rectify that in my next visit back home!

So why is Valentines important to me? In retrospect, that story is for another time... ;)



17 comments:

  1. Small weddings rock! My husband and I did something similar, because he was a student and I was working minimum wage. Families were supportive of our decisions, the only nasty comments I received about my wedding day were from total strangers. Getting married is only one day, being married is for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful that your family was so understanding of your situation.
      I think people have this idea that a wedding should be far more expensive and formal than it really should be-- honestly, if I could I would've had a large wedding to appease certain folks. In the end, we just stuck to inviting our own families. Although I really wish someone threw a bachelorette party-- always liked the idea of those, heh.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely story! Congrats on having found an excellent partner (& I love the wedding pic with Elvis in the background ;-). Your craft work looks gorgeous, so intricate & fantastic. I totally understand how doing it as a business may not work -- that's a separate skill set & can take away from the pure joy of creating. I admire those who can do both. If you figure out a way to, great, but if not, just enjoy your art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity to share it =)
      As for business, it makes me wish for some type of partner-- that way all I have to worry about is just creating.

      Delete
  3. Firstly, you tat? My grandmother used to tat and unfortunately took the skill with her to her grave. :( It's such a gorgeous skill to have! Secondly, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful piece of your life. I am honored that you chose to share it for one of my assignments (and one of Trystan's status reports). I also love the photo of you two with Elvis in the background! SO AWESOME!!! Oh honey, I just want to reach through the computer and give you a great big hug! You are such a beautiful, talent and wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as well for the opportunity to share!
      It was a wonderful wedding with good omens; the group before us in the chapel was a couple renewing their 40 year vows! It felt so great to be around so much love.

      I have a couple shuttle tatting posts; it's a beautiful art form that attracted me quickly! Next month I'll be putting needle tatting onto my list.

      A virtual hug has the potential to be just as good as the real thing *hugs*

      Delete
  4. I love everything about your post, the heart image, your wedding dress, that fabulous Dia de los Muertos box (I want it!), and your deep love of crafting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to see you enjoyed it =)
      I think I should've put blogging in there, because I've met so many good people interested in the same things I jabber on about, heh!

      Delete
  5. I think it's good to be a Jack of all Trades. At least you never get bored doing the same old thing! It's nice to be able to pick and choose what you'd like to create on any given day. :o)

    LOVE your wedding picture! Seriously, how could a large, expensive wedding even come close to Elvis? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! There is never a shortage of things I can do, thus I am never truly bored. Although, when I don't have enough materials it does pose a bit of a problem, heh...

      Well... now that you mention it... there was this one expensive wedding where you could get married by the captain of a pirate ship, and the ring bearer would swoop down from the birds nest to bequeath the rings; it required at least a party of 50... but other than that, Elvis was hard to top :D

      Delete
    2. Ummm yeah, I can see that getting married by the captain of a pirate ship would rank right up there in awesomeness, too! I had no idea such a thing was even available! ;o)

      Delete
  6. Wow, your art is gorgeous! =D
    My husband and I had a small cocktail party, but originally wanted to get married in Vegas. I love that you created a special day for you and your husband <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =D
      A cocktail party sounds wonderful and vintage to me. I am picturing a 50's gown and pill box hat with a birdcage veil... I don't know what you wore, but the idea of a party like that sounds great!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, you are skilled in many things!!! I love the wedding photo, that is awesome!!! I would love to see what your whole dress looked like, I love the black dress idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a curse sometimes, only because each craft requires tools and materials-- it's expensive loving to do so many things!

      Only the lace on it was black, the dress itself was a dark purple taffeta. My hubby and I made that compromise, because I really wanted a dark dress but he really wanted to see me in something other than black.

      Delete
  8. Both my family and my partner's family live abroad, and it's one of the reasons behind delaying getting married - we'd quite like for people to be able to attend, so we'd have to be living near at least one set of relatives, but for the time being we've both got enough commitments in Scotland to stay where we are. There's nothing wrong with meeting via the internet, or through gaming. I was introduced to Dave via the internet by a mutual friend I met on a role-playing forum!

    I really like the pentagram pyrograph :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope your big day is wonderful!
      it's also really nice to hear of another person meeting their significant other through some geeky outlet ;)

      Thank you!
      Most of my pyrography is inspired by my Wiccan beliefs, hehe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...