Thursday, April 25, 2013

Fashioning My Cyber Microcosm: The Good, The Heavy, and The Ironic...

It's happy dance time, dear readers!

I have some thrilling news!
For the past couple of days I have been apartment searching-- that's right, I'm moving! 

My husband recently got word that he is going to be given a position at the heart of downtown Phoenix; double good news because that means I'll be living in a city again. I have a soft spot for city living, it's how I grew up; while many people dream of escaping to more natural corners of the world, I seek the 24/hr hustle and bustle of large city streets. Taking a stroll through the city at night is one way I really enjoy myself; bright lights and music from bars, clubs and even cars thumping away in the background... I realize it's an odd pleasure, but there it is.

The downsides to all this (not that they're truly big deals) is the search to find the right place, and having to move our bedroom set.
The bedroom set was a gift from my mother-in-law, a really lovely one made of solid wood... but therein lies the problem... it's heavy, really heavy. I feel like I'm attempting to move a tree trunk just by trying to move the posts from the bed, and the thought of having to move just one of those pieces up to an apartment that may or may not have an elevator in the peek of summer in Southern Arizona... ugh.

I find it laughably ironic that we should have to pack up just as I finished organizing and cleaning my craft room and the house as I wanted it.... ok, and a touch annoyed. But hey, at least it'll be that much easier to label and organize for packing.

I feel a little regretful that I am leaving behind such wonderful people that live in the quaint little corner of this town where I do. Words fail to quantify how wonderful they all have been; I can't say it or think it enough... if only there was something just as amazing that I could do to show them how much it's meant to me.
See? My friend and neighbor's mother knit me some slippers and a matching pincusion; 
Confession: I was literally doing a happy dance, I love them so much.



Ever work hard on a large project
only for it to become pointless not much later after total completion?

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new flat! There has been an underlying sense of isolation to your entries. I'm glad you're getting back right smack dab in the middle of things :)
    To answer your question: Yes, they are called relationships... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It was a bit uninspiring to drive 2 hours to get something crafty, heh.

      Hehe XD

      Delete
  2. Phoenix? Does that really count as a city? It's so spread out.

    I own those socks, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I thought I was the only one to think that-- where I used to live, it was considerably "smaller" than Phoenix, but it had so much more in a condensed area...
      As I search apartments, I'm hard pressed finding a place that makes me feel like I'm downtown =P

      The socks are one of my favorites! But then, all my socks are halloween socks.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to add-- at least it's far more populated and has far more opportunities and amenities than where I currently am! And I'm terribly grateful for that!

      Delete
    3. True, it does have everything. I recall the first time I went to Phoenix, though- I thought it was very much like LA, if it had been dropped from a very high place and spread out upon hitting the ground. The weird lack of freeways got to me, though. Especially when they'd close the entire 17 for NO APPARENT REASON AND I'D HAVE TO TAKE SURFACE STREETS TO SKY HARBOR WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ADOT? Okay, sorry, had a moment there.

      Delete
  3. Awwww, I'm so happy for you, Madame MM! Well, other than the packing part - that part still sucks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yes, packing is the worst-- I'm not looking forward to unpacking in 35+ Celsius heat >.<

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you, if I lived in a small town or rural area where it is quiet like that it would drive me nuts! Even now, I live in a residential area on the edge of the city and THANK GOODNESS there is a busy road behind my house as I think I would go nuts without the traffic noise! People think that's odd but I would like to live downtown or something where there is activity and stuff happening! I don't like when it is too quiet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...