Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mortem's Tricks or Treats: Eenie Meenie Miney Mo

Ugh!

That's right, ugh! There's no other response for such a trivial predicament that I can't seem to resolve on my own. I am filled to brim with mixed feelings (a story for another time), and I literally ache to distract myself from such inner discombobulation.

My dear readers, help me to put this decision out of its misery.
I am still deciding which piece of clothing to sew...
But now I have more of a choice, since my neighbor lent me a pattern I had my eye on; funny story that. I was on the brink of purchasing a pattern for shorts, but was reluctant to do so because I could've just as easily drafted them myself... but you see, I really wanted to make an honest and true effort to craft commercial patterns in all basic silhouettes; pants, shorts, blouse/top, dress, and jacket. I know I have already crafted a blouse, but I fell in love with this other pattern and another one from burda...



Anyway, she invited me over one day and we got to digging through her collection of patterns. We brought them out for fun since she had more costume and vintage patterns than any other type... and lo and behold, she was waiving around that one pattern; she had no idea I was looking to buy it by the way, she waved it around thinking we could possibly redraft them into jodhpurs.


It is Simplicity pattern 2367, and I was piqued by the shorts (view D). She lent it to me; I was wholly relieved I didn't have to buy it since I can't ever seem to stumble upon the dollar pattern day at Joann's craft store, and I also wasn't entirely sure I'd even make more from it after I finished the first ones.

But now I find myself confuzzled over which article to make first? Its contender is New Look pattern 6599. Both patterns are ones with the same amount of enthusiasm and excitement attached to them...



The New Look pattern has two tops I really wish to create, while the simplicity only has the one... and I guess the capris that look similar to it also (view C). But these are the main three I can't decide upon.

All the fabric and notions are purchased and accounted for, for each one...


 A nice lightweight black and white stripe fabric for either blouse; I have more than plenty yardage of this to make all the blouses of this pattern-- it's very exciting fabric! Black lace, ribbons and buttons for all the trimmings.


I chose a medium weight black material with the slightest stretch to it for the shorts. I bought some really damn cute metal skull shank buttons; I had the venetian lace in my stash for a little while but it's only a yard and a half with a 2 1/2 inch width-- I didn't know what to use it for, for the longest while.

I leave the decision in your capable hands, my batty darlings; 
which one shall I make first?


15 comments:

  1. I vote for nr 3 - What a cute little number!
    I don't like shorts, and nr 2 looks a lot like the Halloween themed blouse you finished and showcased a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's true the second one is almost identical-- just goes to show how much I adore that silhouette.

      I'm also not overly fond of shorts or even pants, but I only have one pair of shorts, and that's not boding well with the sudden interest in outdoor activity we're taking on, heh. Might as well add my own flavor to my hiking gear, right? =P

      Delete
  2. Even though you are not fond of shorts, you may find it is a faster project than the blouses. And since the shorts pattern is unusual, you can dress these up with different tights. Maybe even wool ones in the winter for warmth. They also have a vague steam-punk look to the cut. I could see you pairing them with the blouse #2, a vest or corset and a coordinating Fascinator or mini top hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly my thoughts on how the shorts appear!
      The shorts might actually pose some fit issues since I have a larger than average posterior; I'm hoping since they appear a little more roomy than other short patterns that I won't have to tweak the pattern that much to make it fit.
      They would be very exciting with tights, you're right!

      Delete
  3. I vote for the middle option, blouse view D. This is mostly due to a selfish desire to live vicariously through someone who looks good in puffed sleeves. ;) I look like I forgot to take off my shoulder pads after football practice. :P

    That said... the shorts are intriguing and I look forward to seeing them made in the black fabric with the lace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! One vote for each! I need a tie-breaker.

      Strangely enough, I always thought that sharp shoulder-pad look to be quite fetching. I blame that on my mother; she used to wear blazers with shoulder pads, paired with pencil skirts. I remember thinking how dominating and powerful it made her look lol... and how much as a child I tried to emulate that by putting on her pumps and lipsticks lol.
      These days she gives me whatever she unearths from her old wardrobe, but I still can't seem to grasp that "attitude" haha.

      Delete
    2. My mom wore blazers with shoulder pads, too. The powerful (to the point of fierce sometimes) woman look was popular in the '80s. I always wished I could push the shoulder pads forward where they'd do me some good. ;)

      Delete
  4. Am I too late to vote? Have you already decided, Madame MM? Because I'd go with the shorts - especially since you live in the dessert. Desert. I always get those two confused ... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I just checked. It's me that lives in the dessert and you that lives in the desert. Which explains why I never wear shorts and why I'd like to see somebody else make a pair. Living vicariously, like Bane said ...

      Delete
    2. Not too late at all!
      I sometime pause and wonder if I'm spelling either one right, as well lol

      But now I'm seriously craving a soft serve! Hah

      Delete
  5. I'm actually working on view D of that blouse right now!

    I like those shorts though. I want to see what you do with them. I'm not big on shorts either, I don't even own any, but I think those could be really cute.

    (Sorry I'm anonymous, I can't seem to log in)
    Ashling42

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe I'm not and it just lied to me! Oh well.

      Delete
    2. The silhouette certainly has potential!
      It seems that the shorts will be the ones I will start crafting first, and even as I type this my brain is brewing up a storm as to what else I could add to these that might make them even better than what was initially thought.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What's the pattern number on the New Look pattern pack for frilly blouses? I'm going to see if I can track those down. Those are all perfect Lolita blouse patterns, and at least two of them are excellent Romantic Goth blouse patterns... I'm picking out fabrics already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I've just spotted where you wrote it in your blog - I was clearly not using my eyes. Sorry!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...