Friday, July 19, 2013

Fashioning My Cyber Microcosm: My Favorite Everyday Jewelry.

Motivation to sew those shorts you've all helped me to choose is proving to be a rather volatile endeavor. One minute, I'm pleasantly cutting away, and literally the next I just feel bored of it...

I have so much trouble forcing myself to do anything if I'm not into it, and as much trouble starting on other projects after I've begun. As a result, it's taking a while to finish them. I really wanted to make this post about them, but I haven't even started piecing the mock together...

I really wanted to post something, so what I have for you all today is just what the title says; my favorite everyday pieces of jewelry from my collection. I shall start from most worn, to least.

Necklaces


Handmade
I made this one from the black setting my mother found at the parking lot at her work. It originally had a rather scratched and damaged plastic rhinestone in the middle that I replaced with the skeleton lady cameo. Since it wasn't found with a strand, and was missing one too many accenting little rhinestones, those were also replaced.

Handmade
I made this one with the full intention of selling it at one of the markets I was selling at. After I completed it, I realized I loved it far too much to let it go, especially because it used only one of only two parts of the setting, and the very last large faceted beads I had left. Its sister was a little more basic, but with the same kind of pendant created from juxtaposed parts to make a whole; it was the first thing sold at my table, heh. I'd say it's right up there with the handful of my greater jewelry accomplishments.

Handmade
This piece comes with the memory of being a grumpy jewelry-making elitist for the first time. Not the proudest moment of my life, but for some reason it seemed important to argue with a bead store clerk that the bicones were improperly labeled as heliotrope, when they were montana blue...
Heliotrope has a grey undertone, whereas montana blue has a more greenish teal. It's such an insignificant detail, I don't know why it bothered me.

Handmade
Another piece meant to be sold at a craft fair, but became part of my collection because it was one of the only pieces that didn't end up selling. Admittedly, this took almost no effort to make and I could see the lack of appeal... but I think that's why I like it, because it's such an understated goth piece; most people hardly notice the skull I placed in there.

Partially handmade
My mother purchased me this rosary, and somehow ended up with heaps of sentimental value. The original cross ended up getting caught on something and broke in half. I replaced it with one of my favorite types of cross findings that has a bat in the center, and a skull at the top; I added the small black rhinestone on the belly of the bat to create cohesion with the strand.


Store bought
Part of the illustrious teeny handful of pieces I actually didn't make. I found this one at Claire's one day while walking about the mall with a friend. It was super pretty and in the clearance bin, so why not? Heh. I also made out with a pair of lacey leggings, and some chandelier earrings from that haul, too.

Earrings

Handmade
I made a bunch of these in all sorts of colors for yet another craft fair. These purple ones, and a yellow pair were the only ones that didn't end up selling-- so I kept them, though I'm thinking about selling the yellow since I haven't worn them.

Store bought
Another piece of store bought jewelry; I bought these while working for Fairweather clothing company. I bought many things while working there... you could say they were paying me half a pay check each week, because the other half went right back to the store, heh.

Store bought
Ok, so most of my everyday earrings are bought at the store, because I have a tendency to be overly decadent with the things I make... and that collides with my desire for non-dangly earrings for everyday. My younger brother purchased these for me while we were hanging out in China town; I fell head over heels for them, and begged him to give me the cash for them, hehe.


That's that; the pieces I wear more regularly than everything else... at least the ones of note; I usually layer them with plain strands of black acrylic beads.
For the next installment, I'll be showing off the pieces I wear for special/formal occasions. 

11 comments:

  1. You have a really nice collection of handmade jewellery, everything looks wonderful, especially the very first piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I made sure to pack my absolute favorites-- I'm one of those type of people that feels absolutely naked without some type of jewelry on, heheh.

      Delete
  2. You make such nice jewelry! I love the cross, and the colorful earrings look really pretty, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'm quite flattered to hear that =D
      The cross was quite a find! I wonder if I can track down the vendor of them again =S

      Delete
  3. I think my favourite is the bat with the heliotrope, oops sorry, montana blue bicones. Where do you get such beautiful findings? Surely you couldn't have found them in Calgary, unless you know of someplace I don't know about! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heart is heliotrope, at least XD
      I felt bad after causing a stir, so I bought the bicones anyways, heh...
      All the beads I found in Calgary, but the findings were purchased online =P

      I went to Suzy Q in Inglewood and Beedles Beads along 17th ave downtown. I hear there are a few more new bead stores opening! I am planning on having a visit when I'm up there!

      Delete
  4. I love you necklaces, they are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many nice necklaces. The ones with found pieces is always the best, don't you think ? :) . I have realized that I have too much jewellery, I even forget that I have some :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, when I had my entire collection I always forgot what I had =/
      I'm thinking I should begin a purge if I ever manage to bring them down from Canada.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy your jewelry making style. I like how you turned something found in a parking lot into something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...