Monday, August 19, 2013

Skeleton Closet: There's No Place Like Home

Two nights ago I arrived back to the scorching heat of Phoenix Arizona from a two week trip up North in Calgary Alberta to visit my family.
It was my first visit in a little over a year since moving down, and it probably would've been much longer had it not been for the flight voutures my mother in law gave us last year.
We probably would've flown sooner, but many of the months prior to August were blacked out... but who's complaining-- we flew practically for free, minus a few taxes.



I brought home a plethora of goodies from my home up North-- mainly clothing and fabric. Today felt like a good day to fancy myself up in some of the items I brought from home:


The dress originally belonged to my mother from her earlier years; isn't it just darling? The upper bodice portion is stretch lace, while the skirt is made from an airy soft mesh material.
I had these pvc lace up boots since late jr. high/ early high school, as well as the beaded choker; they were items that should've originally came down with me in the first batch of items, but in my hurry to pack I placed them in a place I couldn't immediately find at the time. All is right in the world of my closet now that they're here.


The top hat is one of my own creation... sort of. I bought the plain top hat, and decorated it with a beaded lace trim around the band, a chiffon scarf, a feather and a brooch I had created just for it... but completely detachable. 


As I type this, I can't shake the feeling that my mere two week visit was just an elaborate dream. It certainly was not enough time to spend with my mother, let alone friends; I regret not seeing any but one of my good friends... but it was so short of a time, and I wanted to spend as much as I could with my dearest mother.

During the first few days they took me shopping downtown, going to China town for my favorite cool treat-- pineapple bubble tea with lychee jelly instead of pearls, and a serving of delicious spring rolls... oh how I missed it all.
My youngest brother and I visited my favorite candy shoppe in Dragon City Mall, and went wild with all the treats he and I used to buy all the time...

Yum!


We found new flavors of our favorite chewy candies; the only ones available prior to the new ones were the strawberry and green apple-- quite tasty indeed!
Now there is a sour plum (top), coca cola (third), and strawberry cake (fourth)... sadly, we didn't much care for any of the new except the strawberry cake.

During the weekend we took a trip to Drumheller to visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum. It was spectacular visit, full of old memories I had when I was a child visiting all the wonderful things in that museum; I was quite happy to share it with my husband too, for it was his very first visit there.

Left to right: My momma, my younger brother, Me, and my husband.
Since my husband's mother now also lives in Calgary, we split the two weeks between my family and his, during which I had a very small window to see only one of my friends for a couple of hours.

We went up to Stephen Ave and had ourselves a drink and discussing life apart, and personal current events.


It's funny, because this was the first time she met my husband in all the years he and I were dating (a total of 8 years this Christmas), and I'm very glad that the two of them got to meet because two of the most important people in my life ought to.

It would seem that another visit during Christmas might become a reality... and I just can't wait!

What I am Wearing:

  • Dress-- my mother's, now belonging to me
  • Top hat-- decorated by yours truly
  • Boots-- Pleaser
  • Hosiery--  Dollarama
  • Beaded Choker-- Claire's

8 comments:

  1. Awwww, too bad you didn't have time to come visit the Gothic Mansion! Glad you had a nice time with your mom though. I haven't been to Drumheller in years! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am quite saddened that I couldn't come visit you. I left so much undone back home that it took the time between outings with my mother and brother =(.

      Perhaps, when I come up again, since I organized quite a bit during this visit, it'll give me more time to do other things-- like visit you!

      Delete
  2. What a great outfit!
    I'm sorry you didn't have more time to do see all your friends, it must be difficult living so far away from everybody. A Christmas visit to Calgary sounds lovely. I imagine Christmas in Arizona to be... well, not really Christmas. Scorching heat is really not my thing - I need snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were wearing really nice outfits! The hat you modified came out really beautiful :D. And those pvc boots? They're awesome *_* too bad you had left them in Canada, they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Calgary, it is a lovely city! I had a nice trip there earlier this year for the Terminus music festival.

    I love what you've done with the hat! The chiffon scarf hanging down the back adds such a nice feminine flair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey... This is the first time that I visit your blog. And I have to say, great header. I'm in love with your steampunk style, and this hat is fucking awesome.

    Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The same thing happens to me every time I go home; I make so many plans, but there's too little time to visit everyone and everything...

    Also, there is still a bunch of things we couldn't tale when we moved to Hungary, still stored at my boyfriend's parents' in Belgium and every time we visit, I browse the boxes and bring some ptuff home...it's like meeting old friends...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The same thing happens to me every time I go home; I make so many plans, but there's too little time to visit everyone and everything...

    Also, there is still a bunch of things we couldn't tale when we moved to Hungary, still stored at my boyfriend's parents' in Belgium and every time we visit, I browse the boxes and bring some ptuff home...it's like meeting old friends...:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...