My mother sent me a knit vest in one of my care packages. I hated the color, but luckily she had also sent along 3 packs of old Rit powder dye in black.
I'd like to start off by saying I'm sorry.
The reason for that is because I completely forgot to take a before picture, and I realized it as I put it in a vat of dye. The picture shown is after its first bath in black dye. It used to be a powder blue... I did take a "during" shot, though
|Doesn't really make up for before shots...|
I deduced that perhaps it was because 1.) I forgot to add vinegar during the simmering process and 2.) I only let it sit for about 15 mins before rinsing.
Currently it is drying from a second bath which included vinegar and more time...
So tomorrow, I'll probably put it in a third, maybe a fourth bath. I tried boiling it to felt it the first time round-- didn't really felt all that great.
I'll be adding lace trims to it, so by the next CCC post I'll show it in all its complete glory
When I've blackened it sufficiently, I wanted to replace its buttons with something better, currently they're a milky pearlescent. I'm just not sure what I'll replace them with yet...