However, last weekend in my efforts to better balance my time for Bat Fit and most importantly, for my sanity, I made some time to continue work on it.
I tried the individual pieces on before setting them on Frankiestein... it was during this time, while glancing at the cuts and curves of the pieces on myself, I caught a glance of something off. Checking over the fit on myself, I took the same piece to Frankie...
Yup, my fleeting suspicion was quickly confirmed. I grew a size.
Luckily the pieces can still be increased with cleverly added inserts... but that would mean some very meticulous tailoring, which in turn means I would need a dress form to execute this change perfectly. Increasing the size of my dress form is a whole other can of worms I didn't have the will to deal with at the time... so I decided on something simple, with very little need for fitting details.
A skater dress.
Specifically McCall's M6754 in view B-- I bought it during one of my biggest Joann's hauls.
I bought a size lg to xxl not having much to pick from... I may have grown, but I haven't grown enough to fit into any of the predetermined sizing of my copy, so I had to grade it down to a medium using some less than "expert" ways of downsizing a pattern. I grabbed the smallest thread cap I own to mimic this little gadget from clover, which I only just discovered the previous week, and wanted to see if I could justify actual purchase through a DIY knock off. Let me just say... I want it. If your hands quake like mine do sometimes, the lines can be... funny looking, but I used my slew of rulers to clean up the lines. After that, the construction of the mock up went with barely a hitch... I say barely because my head grew a little foggy and I almost forgot how to sew on stretchy fabric. Some of the seams of my mock came out a tad lettucey due to that haze.
Here is the mock up, it's perfectly wearable despite that haze, and I am considering painting bats all over it to sell or trade to someone who might appreciate hot pink more than I currently do. I wanted to note that I kept the hem of the mock up a little longer keeping in mind it's next owner... the length I require for my height would not be very classy for the averagely "statured".
For my own dress, I had just the right fabric in mind.
With the Joann's gift cards given me this past Christmas, I bought what was left of a stretch velvet bolt in a color labeled "mystic purple" (among other decadent fabrics for my stash).
I also dug around my lace to find some flourish appliques I was saving for more coffin purses that never made it to fruition.
Armed with a un-fogged brain, and some delightful materials I made quick the work of the newest edition to my wardrobe.
And here are shots with a little accessory I acquired last year from Ebay
I had to fix this little underbust vest belt thing with a little elastic sewn to the straps... they were a little too broad shouldered for my stature. It now adds to the design and functions to keep the straps on.
I've been a rather selfless sewist. It feels like forever since I've sewn anything to actually wear for myself; something I can hang in my closet. Perhaps this is the tiny beginnings of a new trend... to temper work and home time, self love and family love.