I have been fighting a small injury to my hip, that although small, nevertheless kept me from my usual freedoms. After I healed from that, I was stricken with a bad allergy attack that made my eyes swell up shut. After I took enough antihistamines to get them open it was just a matter of waiting and medicating for the rest of my body to follow suit...
Still, despite all of it, recovery time did offer me a moment to finish some smaller projects I kept putting off and of course writing on my blog-- that's why I have been so very active online, hehe.
Now that I'm mostly back to relative normality, I took the chance to model out a pair of overalls I finished before the allergy attack.
This was the project I had even earlier set aside to work on my version of McCall's 6503.
It was while I was deciding what to do for embellishments on this project that my path took me to the dress. After that struggle, a little break afterwards, and I guess the bruised hip (lol) I was able to finally get back to it.
This is McCall's 7547 in view C; the overall shorts.
Always wanted me a pair of velvet overalls, and now I finally have them-- with a few modifications.
And modifications there are a few of...
To start, I omitted side seams and any zippers or the connected waist bands that were originally designed with the pattern. In their place I used grommets for lace up details, and double sided button tabs to ensure they stay together-- in case unlacing should somehow occur.
Next, I added some pleather gear/cog appliques... though it would appear this idea was kind of a bust. They were meant to be more pronounce. I may add decorative rivets in order to accentuate the design, but I'm not sure I want to use the amount I would require for a substantial difference to be made. These appliques are placed on the bottom left front and the back right on the pocket.
I would give this a solid 'meh'.
Perhaps if I had not went with double textured materials, it might have panned out better.
The button tabs were things I had to draft in myself, though as you might imagine, not very difficult to do.
I took a portion of the original waist pattern piece and arrowed it off.
The method might have been easy, but the decision to use them wasn't; this new design feature. I bounced the idea around among buckles or snaps. None seemed more neutral in the end to any future belts I may wear than fabric covered buttons, since I kept the original belt loops in the design.
Lucky I had some button making kits in my stash leftover from making my bat dress.
My biggest revelation while making this up was the use of fabric glue. I know, sounds like a no-brainer to a crafter.
Once I did scoff the use in garment construction, because hand basting was more than sufficient, and glue can have rather unsightly effect on the finish, if you're using liquid glue or a strong enough stick glue. I use it all the time in my millinery and other accessory related craft... but during this, I wasn't in the mood to baste every seam in this to make it sit right.
|Stick glue never liquid for basting|
Fluffy towels are said to be a good substitute, but I don't have fluffy towels. It left me puzzling over what I could do to get the cooperation I desired when pins were too cumbersome for accuracy.
I bought this fabric glue pen to experiment in my millinery (brand: June Tailor), but the application was far too light for those purposes. Kind of an ah-ha moment.
A quick swatch test, and doors of possibilities opened.
I was able to make the straps and work under finite seam allowance with ease, all thanks to fabric glue basting; the pen applicator was acutely responsible for the level of handiness.
- The finished garment produces a close fitting/fitted pair of overalls, worth it to note for those looking for a loose fit. With major and complicated tweaks, the possibility is there.
- Front top pocket is not originally intended for View C, this is an optional piece for this view.
- If you're using a material with not a lot of thickness, like I did, make sure you're reinforcing and adding an interfaced thick layer where the dungaree buttons will be installed.
- It should be mentioned that originally the pattern has a side zipper closure, and a working front fly. I wanted neither.
- Comes together very easily, though I suggest paying close attention to how you finish your seams and reinforce stress points; the crotch, corners of pockets, the point where the straps are attached, as well as front and back bibs along the waist.
So despite my resting witch face, I am very pleased and relieved with the outcome. I barely tested for fit, except for mocking up just the bottom portion and trying that on once, I didn't put them on again until I was fully finished. Kind of a gamble, especially considering the material-- velvet ain't the cheapest material on the market, most especially a quality crushed velvet that isn't stretch and doesn't look super costumey.
Until next time, fiends.
Spook ya later!
Top: Handmade-- Simplicity 8386
Boots & Hat: Ardenes and Ebay