I guess that's not the only underwhelming thing... I feel a little underwhelmed by the blouse after completion--perhaps it's because of the strenuous effort it took to get to the finish line.
Because of this blouse, I had to buy and improvise many tools; my paper tape dress form, and seam roll for example.
In retrospect, this blouse didn't really need that much work, but I am a terrible stickler for finished details; for my own peace of mind, it was done; I don't like a homemade appearance in my own work.
The fabric is on the sheer side, so an undershirt is a necessary aspect to this outfit; it's far more see-through than one would expect; it makes a great start to a new summer wardrobe.
This was also a chance to try out the button sewing function of my sewing machine-- I didn't feel like hand stitching 9 buttons, and without a simflex, it would probably have turned out much more off than it is now...
|Dangit, I really wish I had a simflex...|
Here are my final notes on the construction of size 14 of the pattern, in no particular order:
- Bust dart needed about a 3 cm raise from original position, and a 2 cm increase in length
- Took in upper bodice pieces by a few cm total.
- Front darts decreased in width by about 2.5 cm
- Finish bottom seam, and reverse placket installation from instructions; makes a far cleaner right side.
- Baste on placket before attaching collar-- you can get a better gauge at where your collar should be sitting at. Remove basted placket after pinning collar; sew collar on.
I am very pear shaped, meaning my bust is small, and my hip area huge. These alterations are meant to accommodate my shape, but I found that the collar would likely need adjustments in any size because it's so terribly drafted, as well as how the instructions tell you how to insert your button plackets.
What I am wearing:
- Top: Self-made from New Look pattern 6078
- Shorts: Second hand
- Boots: K-mart